Monday, June 27, 2011

Personal Libraries


You were worried, right? You were like, 'omgggg why isn't zippy posting? What is I gon' dooo?!' Sorry about that homies. I'm in a transitional time and so my focus has been elsewhere.

Anyway- I have really exciting news. I just rediscovered my private library INCLUDING really old diaries. Just so you know, I have been writing in journals/dairies since I was abut 7 and so, that's about 15 years of documented personal growth. But this post is about books and why everyone should have a personal library.

Tucked away in one of the dankest, cobwebbiest areas of my room were stacks and stacks of books that I have been collecting over the past 7 years. Since I'm rummaging through all of my stuff to try and make it fit int my apartment, my mini-project for today was to attack the stacks! Instead of just getting irritated by all the dust, I noticed that these books also document how my intellectual curiosities have grown, faded and developed. For example, I notice that in my first year of college level French, I read le Venus D'Ile and it's sort of a feminist book. That following summer, I was ripping through more feminist and womanist literature [in English]. I also have a stack of egyptology books I collected in '06-'07 and then I just stopped being actively interested and therefore don't have any more of those books. I can look at my bookshelf and though I'm just looking at dusty, tattered, scribbled in bound pieces of paper, I'm really peering into myself.

Do you all have personal libraries? Do you feel the same way about them?
Any other journal keepers in the raum?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...