Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Kinky Misconceptions


Andre Walker has won 5 Emmy Awards for his work as Oprah Winfrey's personal hair stylist. He also has his own line of hair products, where you can find a wonderful bottle of conditioner for $25. Many women turn to Walker for advice on haircare. This is why his recent comments on kinky hair found in this month Elle magazine are especially troubling.

Apparently, his motto is to "make peace with you hair." Well, not if your shit is kinky. If it is, you better go to war armed with creamy crack!



"I always recommend embracing your natural texture. Kinky hair can have limited styling options; that’s the only hair type that I suggest altering with professional relaxing."- Andre Walker

So unless you want to go around looking like Topsy, you
need to chemically straighten your hair?

Gurl, please! Look, my hair is kinky, okay. Ethnically curly, coily, peasy... NAPPY! When I rock a fro, it feels like freshly picked cotton. No curl pattern, no shine, my hair is straight nappy! But after seven years of being natural, I would not change a damn thing about it. You know why? Because I don't need to change a damn thing about it!

I'm not at all an expert but I can attest to the fact that my nappy hair care is not unbearable, and it sure as hell is not limiting. Last week I stepped out with pinned up curly twists. Tomorrow I'm going to rock a curly afro. My updos range from pompadours to french rolls. Last time I checked, the only style my non-black sistas rocked was the ponytail (no offense). As for the manageability, some of my hairstyles take a lot of time but they also last for a long time. Oh and I don't need a rake to comb it.

Alright lets cut straight to the issue here. Walker's comments are just another example of internalized racism amongst us black people. Our natural hair is our most unique feature. Why then do the vast majority of black people in the entire world choose to straighten it? Some will say it is because of aesthetic reasons but more will claim that straightened hair is simply more convenient. In other words, natural hair (kinky hair) is just too much of a hassle.

Bullshit. I'm not too familiar with the history, but for centuries black people have neglected learning about how to properly care for their natural hair. Instead, "hair care" has always been interpreted as needing to fix hair in its natural state. Hot combs, relaxers and weaves are not true hair care. Instead they shield us from not having to "struggle" with our real hair. Our real, kinky, really kinky hair.

So, Andre Walker, hair care connoisseur and fellow black person, you get a major side eye for being irresponsible and misinforming kinky sistas. And for my fellow kinky sistas and brothers, keep it nappy and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...